Where to Donate
Donations may be brought to the Durango Food Bank at 194-C Bodo Drive, Durango CO 81301 during operational hours M-Th from 9:00am-3:00pm.
Express Employment Professionals Durango in Bodo Park (next to Office Depot) accepts food donations on behalf of the Durango Food Bank M-F from 8am-5pm.
There are also Food Drives throughout the year at various locations in Durango hosted by local organizations and groups. If you are interested, please consider organizing a food drive.
What to Donate
Both perishable and non-perishable food items are accepted. We adhere strictly to the food safety guidelines outlined by the USDA and FDA. Although a product may be expired, it is considered wholesome beyond the date printed on the product and is distributed in accordance to specific extension periods. We encourage interested individuals to download the USDA FoodKeeper app to check expiration extensions on specific items.
What we can safely accept:
- Canned, bagged or boxed goods in original packaging.
- Whole, fresh produce.
- Cut fresh produce packed separately in food-grade packaging.
- Chilled perishable packaged foods such as juice and cheese in their original packaging.
- Meat, poultry, chilled to 41˚F maximum or frozen.
- Frozen foods in original packaging.
- Dairy products chilled to 41˚F maximum.
- Shelled eggs.
- Bakery Items (day-old bread, bagels, etc).
- Wild game processed and packaged in a USDA approved facility. (We can pick up directly from the processor once completed)
What we cannot accept:
- Foods that have been served or put on a buffet table.
- Foods that have been previously reheated.
- Foods that have been kept in the danger temperature zone for more than 2 hours.
- Foods with damaged or compromised packaging, resulting in the loss of a sanitary barrier protection.
- Any food containing alcohol.
- Frozen foods with severe freezer burn.
- Sushi or any seafood intended for raw consumption.
- Open, punctured, bulging or seriously damaged canned goods.
- Home canned or home jarred products.
All food that is donated is gleaned to sort out food not considered adequate for human consumption. Our operation is set up to ensure no food goes into the landfill. We have regular animal farmers who pickup unusable items to be used for feeding their livestock. As a last resort, all other unused items go into our garden compost or to local livestock feed.
If you are interested in receiving more information on picking up our unusable items for your livestock feed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.