Store Food Drive Template (For Organizations/Groups)
Thank you for your interest in hosting a food drive at one of our local grocery stores. We welcome participation from any volunteers (ages 5-10 with parent supervision, 10-15 with adult supervision, and 16 and older). The following information should provide you with a guide throughout the process, but please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns at any point.
- Select a Point Person from Your Organization: This person will be charged with corresponding directly with a representative from the Durango Food Bank.
- Choose Best Option for Day of Drive Schedule: Food Drives can be done with as few as 3 people and can also accommodate larger groups. Pick the option that works best based on your number of volunteers. Although we suggest the drive take place from 10:00am-4:00pm, hours may be shortened or lengthened to accommodate your specific group, and to maximize impact.
- Option A – (3-4 Volunteers)
1 Site; Same People Cover the Full Shift
- Option B – (6-9 Volunteers)
1 Site; 2-3 People per 2 Hour Shift, OR
2 Sites; 3-4 People Cover Full Shift at Each Site
- Option C – (10-50 Volunteers)
Up to 6 Sites; 2-3 People per 2 Hour shifts, OR
3-4 People Cover Full Shift at Each Site
- Option A – (3-4 Volunteers)
- Pick a Date & Coordinate Schedule: Once best option is selected based on the number of Volunteers, your designated point person should contact the Durango Food Bank representative with 2 different dates which your group would be willing to host a food drive. Food drives can take place any day of the week.
- Finalize Your Volunteer Schedule: Volunteer Sign-up Sheets are available to use as you begin to set up volunteers for your specific drive. Please let us know if we can assist with this in any way.
- Pick Up Supplies from Durango Food Bank Prior to Drive: You will be provided with all materials needed to complete the drive. Please feel free to make the drive your own in any way. Volunteers have dressed up, worn Santa hats, or decorated their tables, etc. You will be provided with the following items:
- Folding Table
- Flyers to Hand Out with List of Most Wanted Food Items
- Donation Cans for Monetary Contributions (Tax Deductible)
- Food Drive Basics Handout with Tips to Complete a Successful Drive
- During the Drive: During the drive, volunteers will hand out flyers to store patrons, receive canned good donations, and accept monetary contributions. Please feel free to share information on your drive on social media pages.
- Upon Completion: Just prior to the completion of the drive, a Durango Food Bank representative will arrive with the Durango Food Bank box truck. They will load all contributions and supplies for transport back to the Food Bank. Photos of your group throughout the drive should also be exchanged. A thank you email will be sent (and posts made on our Facebook page) with your organization information, pounds collected, and total monetary contributions received.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to consider hosting a food drive! All contributions received during your drive will go directly towards La Plata County residents experiencing hunger. Unfortunately, 53% of our food insecure neighbors DO NOT qualify for the SNAP program and rely exclusively on charitable response. Without help from our community members like you, these neighbors in need would have nowhere to turn!